Thursday, June 18, 2009

Summer isn't summer without mussels!!


Summer is a favorite time of year for me. It has many events, celebrations, gardening, cycling, and eating some of my favorite childhood memory foods - mussels! Living in Belgium for so many years caused me to eat my fair share of mussels!!! Moules et frites, a gift from the Gods! So with our fabulous local shellfish culture, it’s mussel time again!!!


The waters of South Puget Sound are warmer than years past for this time period. As a result, the Mediterranean Mussels are ready for eating a little earlier than normal. This is great news for all you mussel fans like me – something we like sooner, can’t beat that!


They are plump, sweet, and oh…so good right now! No doubt they will continue to get better as the summer moves on. I am currently cooking them in a Neapolitan style sauce with a little spice, served over linguini. We will bring the full Mussel Menu on later in the month, with everyone’s favorite selections of years past! For the here and now, I encourage you to come in to savor these little gifts of the sea!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment