Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bread from the Gai family

Why do people like our bread so much? I guess it’s just another “half-baked” idea of mine…..


I’ve done business with the Gai’s Bread family for 30 years – now they’re called Franz. But some of the old timers are still around and it continues to have a sense of family for me. I am a very loyal type of person, to a fault, according to my bride of 30 years. Yet my loyalty to quality has never wavered!


The bread comes up the highway from Portland Oregon out of the ovens of a small French bakery down there there, on trucks driven by Franz. Franz, like many others, currently does very little hand work in the bakeries anymore, everything is pretty much automated.


There is another restaurateur in Seattle that seeks out the same great bread experience. His name is Paul Mackay and his restaurant is called “El Gaucho”. Breaking bread is key to any family meal, and only a “half-baked” loaf can be trucked up to us from Portland and then finished in our ovens for your enjoyment! Sometimes it’s piping hot and sometimes it’s just great bread! Now the “half-baked” idea makes sense, well to me it does!


Oh, by the way, next time you’re in McDonald’s ask for an extra bun to go with your meal and see if you can start a trend!!!

1 comment: